Creative Stoke update, 16th June 2012Posted: June 16, 2012
Cre8net 3: the ‘Fringe Festival special’ is happening this coming Thursday, 21st June 2012! This event is one of a series of four creative industries information/training evenings happening in the city of Stoke-on-Trent…
The venue for this third event will Staffordshire University’s main Stoke Campus, from 5pm. The first hour will be informal networking and showcasing, followed by a routine by stand-up comedian Tony Vino, then more informal networking from 7pm-9pm.
Added to the Directory: Bespoke Birdhouses is a crafts business run by Nigel Green who is based at Stone, near Stoke-on-Trent. Nigel recently created his “Peckingham Palace” bird-house for the Queen’s Golden Jubilee, which has been showcased around the British Isles by the sponsors Cuprinol.
Above: ‘Peckingham Palace’ bird-house by Nigel Green, seen in front of the real Buckingham Palace.
Added to the Directory: Stoke Edits, a Stoke-on-Trent video specialist in producing BMX bike and skateboard films.
Creative Stoke now has a ‘taster’ gallery of 10 pictures from Staffordshire University’s “Show and Tell 2012” art & design graduation exhibitions. The shows run until 23rd June at the main Stoke-on-Trent campus.
Creative Stoke now has a ‘taster’ gallery of 10 pictures from “Firing Up”, a children’s ceramics showcase exhibition. This is the culmination of a Crafts Council project to boost interest in ceramics education, involving four Stoke-on-Trent schools. The “Firing Up” show runs until 23rd June 2012, at the main Stoke-on-Trent campus of Staffordshire University.
There are now a total of six Business Enterprise coaches across North Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent. The free personal service is…
“available to any resident who is looking to explore the idea of working for themselves … from an initial idea through to setting up a business.”
Here are the June 2012 contact details for the various coaches…
* For Bentilee contact Gaynor Parkinson on 07834 657828 or e-mail: email@example.com
* For Burslem contact Gayle Jessiman on 07969 557915 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
* For Hanley, contact Mark Edwards on 07972 083318 or e-mail: email@example.com
* For Longton, contact Julie Holmes on 07866 807134 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
* For Newcastle-under-Lyme, contact Gemma Kirkland on 07875 418968 or e-mail: email@example.com
* For Leek and the Staffordshire Moorlands, contact Sharron Freeman on 07834 031997 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Artists are being invited to exhibit work at The Famous Lion pub in Stoke town, Stoke-on-Trent. Interested? Contact manager Nathan Williams via the pub’s Facebook page.
“Making Money From Your Photography” is a training event set to happen in Stoke-on-Trent on 1st September 2012 (provisional date). Cost is £195. See the website for details.
Stoke-on-Trent ceramics firm Potclays is hosting a series of hobbyist and crafts maker training events in 2012…
* 7th Aug 2012: Raku Kiln Building with John Wheeldon.
* 18th – 19th Sept 2012: Ceramic Relief Sculpture with Neil Dalrymple.
* 17th – 18th Oct 2012: Pot Throwing with David Frith.
* 13th Nov 2012: Glazing & Firing.
* 14th Nov 2012: Electric Kilns, Operation & Maintenance (in-depth).
Crossing Frontiers in Music Education is a national conference set to happen on 5th – 6th October 2012, at Stone town (just south of Stoke-on-Trent).
The first issue of Stoke Rocks! magazine is now available online, covering the thriving Stoke music scene…
Staffordshire University’s annual creative writing publication Indent: a journal of new writing should be available very soon, in a £6.99 print edition at the university’s Fringe Festival.
Stoke-on-Trent’s BitJam and Letting in the Light are teaming up to run animation training workshops for young people with learning disabilities. No dates yet, but it’s ‘one to watch’ if you know someone who might be interested in participating.